• Brian R Gaulke
    Hello All,

I just read about this pilot program here in Nova Scotia that provides digital radon detectors for loan via public libraries. The program is sponsored by the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources and Health Canada. I was unable to find details on either of their sites, but the lung association site has this:

https://ns.lung.ca/our-programs/radon-detector-library-loan-pilot-program

I'm wondering what those who perform measurements professionally think of such a program. One important point to keep in mind is that Health Canada, which I used to work for, recommends long term radon measurements (3 to 12 months) rather than short term. Their guideline document can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/health-risks-safety/guide-radon-measurements-residential-dwellings.html

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers,
    Brian R. Gaulke, CHP emeritus
  • Bob Wood
    Brian i have waited a while to see what others posted on this. I am primarily a mitigator, so i did not see it as my place ...... Free testing does not lead to a lot of mitigation's unless there is a social pressure to fix problem ie friend lends you their digital monitor, and they have already fixed their place. I used to get upset about free testing but not so much anymore. if you are not believing enough in radon to pay $50 for a DYI test or $250 for a professional test, the likelihood that you will move into mitigation is very low.
    This occurs for many reasons cost, lack of current available cash, hassle factor, disbelieving test etc.
    I believe until Government legislates something (tenant protection, mandatory real estate testing, or, workplace protections, radon will continue to be a "double income professional" issue. Please don't get me wrong I really like my clients and am happy to fix their radon issues.
    This loan a radon device program is someone who has become aware of the radon issue in their community and is trying to do something about it ...... i just hope that the someone who is loaning it out is making people aware that their radon number might not be their number.
  • Robert Mahoney
    I have to agree with Bob 100%, anything to get the word out, but with 50% or more variations in readings- for various climatic and home use reasons-it could provide a false sense of security.
    So long as all information is provided with loan program- and they actually read it. I feel, they should do, more good than harm.
    But the question still remains- will they be motivated enough to mitigate?
  • Brian R Gaulke
    Thanks Bob and Robert. While I had some of the concerns you express, you have also cleared things up for me. I think I'll go to the local library and try offering my help in understanding results to discuss measurement results with users of the service.
  • Robert Mahoney
    Now, that would be great!
  • Bruce Decker
    I also have some mixed feelings. My fear is a home owner will get a false sense of security or a false low test. I would like to know what meter they are using (professional grade CRM or home owner radon meter). The library should also be concerned about liability. Who is ensuring the calibration and maintenace of these instruments? Are they insured for that?

A neighbour of mine did a DIY SSD and was using a Safety Siren for post mitigation testing. It just kept rising even after multiple resets. My training provided me with the knowledge to question the DIY install and the instrument. The install was actually really well done. He finally let me test his house with co-located RSSI alpha tracks which tested 20 something Bq/m3 beside the meter which was 180 something.

In the end I believe a test is better than no test even with testing inaccuracy. But this program has some flaws.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Radon ListServ!

Join Radon ListServ Categories that pique your interests and area of expertise.