• Chrystine Kelley
    Does anyone know of any studies in this area? Thanks- Chrys
  • Kevin M Stewart
    Sam cites a very well respected study. And although the conclusion "There was a significant positive linear trend in COPD mortality with increasing categories of radon concentrations (p<0.05)" is striking, it is important to recognize that this is just one study, and that this simple association does NOT constitute proof of a causal association. I would counsel practitioners to be careful not to make excessive claims here. The authors are clear that "Further research is needed to confirm this finding and to better understand possible complex inter-relationships between radon, COPD and lung cancer."
  • Sam Grammer
    Kevin

That's a great point to make from the single study. I try to explain radon risk to people as not just an association with lung cancer and potential death, but also a risk with other heath effects on the body. Especially when the person I am speaking with doesn't believe in the danger of radon exposure I tie it into other "potential" health effects. This is something heavily used in the pharmaceutical industry to help patients understand the importance of compliance with their disease states and medications. There is always a negative cost associated with our health aside from death. Missed work, slowed productivity, medical bills, and other expenses for being "sick." If you can become sick from radon exposure, aside from cancer then there other costs associated with that. Doctor visits, medical bills, medication (inhalers for COPD), missed work, missed play, etc.
    I always say its not just the end result of radon exposure that is a concern its also everything in between that we should be aware of and look further into.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment