• Brian Geswein
    I am in need of replacing one of my rotary hammers. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands/models. In the past I have only used DeWalt 1 3/4 SDS Max but I have heard some people like the Bosch.
  • Robert Mahoney
    I have had great success with Bosch SDS max - great longevity and the antivibe is nice, light enough to do foundation cores, without fatigue
  • Keith Volsted
    I'm a big fan of Bosch SDS Max, liked Hilti but found prices and repair cost a little on the high side.
    Stay away from the less expensive hammer drills without variable speed, they run to fast and tear up the teeth on the core bits. What you save on the drill you end up spending on bits.
    Don't forget to grease and maintain the nose of the drill, if you use it every day they need to be rebuilt about once a year.
  • Brett Frey
    We use Hilti through their tool fleet management program. The tool is good and the service helps to maintain continuity by ensuring that we always have a working tool.
  • Chad Robinson
    I use a used (eBay $400) Hilti te-70, mainly because it drills 5 inch holes faster than any other tool I've used ( I have not done a comprehensive scientific study). But with a Bosch 5 inch Hammer Core bit it goes through most basement slabs in 3-4 minutes and foundation walls (as long as I miss rebar) in 7-8 minutes. The first one I had broke about every other time I used it, but it was used as well, so I tried this one and have about 200 holes in this one with no issues so far (I have kept this one greased, the last one not so much).
  • Paul Muntak
    I also echo all the Bosch SDS Max units. These have been very reliable for me.
  • Tony McDonald
    My presentation at the AARST conference last year covered rotary hammers. You can view the slides here.

We have owned every brand and they all work well, but DeWalt is the only brand that has an ergonomic handle which allows you to stand upright while drilling floors and hold the drill safely with both hands. You can also mount the handle in a more traditional way when coring horizontally. This cuts down on user fatigue and workmans' comp claims. Save your back, and your employees' backs as well, by buying a DeWalt!
  • Mitchell Stein
    We use a Metabo KHE96 and a Bosch both 2in SDS MAX I like both. the Bosch is a little shorter and compact the Metabo is taller I am 6'4 so I am more partial to the Metabo. Metabo makes outstanding equipment it is the most expensive but the quality is far Superior to others. I have gone thru several other SDS MAX drills and my Metabo is still kicken.
  • Brian Geswein
    Thanks everyone who responded.
    It seems there are pro's and con's to all brands. I think the most important thing to remember is you get what pay for. I have been using an "upper end" DeWalt with variable speed and vibe control. I really like the option of mounting the second handle up closer to the D-Handle as Tony mentioned. It is much more comfortable to operate in that position. Also, I have a local DeWalt service drop. I haven't had to use it often, but is nice not to have any shipping cost when service is needed. I may see if any of the rental co's around have a Bosch that I can try before making my decision.
    Thanks again,
    Brian
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Radon ListServ!

Join Radon ListServ Categories that pique your interests and area of expertise.