• Randy Weestrand
    The Dayton vacs we have been using (22XJ59) to suck dirt and rocks out of suction pits have been discontinued, and I've been frustrated trying to find a comparable replacement. The Dayton units have
    11 gallon dry capacity, 105 cfm, 100" of vacuum, 2 1/2" hose, 2 wheels + 2 casters + a handle for pushing it around and a 20" footprint for about $850. I'd sure appreciate your suggestions.
  • Bob Wood
    Wow that is a mitigators vacuum. i look forward to other posts, my SS shop Vac delivers 37 inches and about 120 cfm and been looking around for something that delivers a higher " of vacuum.
  • Jessica Hammons
    We have used a wide variety of vacs (in a variety of price ranges) over the years and haven't loved any of them. They get a ton of use and end up being replaced every 6-10 months. Either the filters aren't great, the wheels break off, or they're heavy. Currently we opted for something lightweight and our Field Team are enjoying them so far. Nothing fancy. RIDGID 4.5 Gal. 5.0-Peak HP ProPack Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum with Filter, Expandable Hose and Accessories. They have to dump them out but because they're so light, they don't find it an issue.
  • Robert Mahoney
    Check out Nilfisk, we used them in duct cleaning industry,
    Easy 100” but crazy $$$
  • Randy Weestrand
    What I've learned so far...
    "Air watts" is an ASTM formula [(cfm x vac) / 8.5]. Units with the same air watts are supposed to perform equally. But I have to believe that the unit with the highest vacuum will move rocks and wet clay lumps through the hose most effectively.
    "Two stage motors" have two impellers that create higher suction at the expense of CFM. They run at lower RPM, are quieter and are more expensive.
    A 2-1/2" hose might really be a 1-1/4" hose with 2-1/2" ends.
    The Ridgid 50358 and 50373 both have 100" and 105 CFM. The 50373 has a very interesting dual filter system that senses filter back pressure and 'back-washes' the filters as needed to keep them from loading up. A reviewer said he vacuumed up a full load (10 gallons?) of drywall dust without cleaning the filter and no loss of vacuum.
    The Ridgid tech guy said the 50338 would be the best radon vac. It has 193 CFM (wow) but only 56" of vacuum. I think I disagree.
    Rob- The Nilfisk guy told me that most of their units have small hoses. They have one that's not really portable with a 2" hose for about $4,000. But- they will come to your job site to service it.
  • Bob Wood
    I chose the SS version of the Ridgid Vac because i wanted my tools to be something the homeowner did not have....... we insert a 1/2 all thread rod in the back wheel set up so it will take the abuse and wieght of gravel from sucking out pit. we carry a number of spare filters so we can always put on a clean one for communication testing. Has anyone tried the Pro level of the rigid vacuum? What kind of Vacuum can you develop?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Radon ListServ!

Join Radon ListServ Categories that pique your interests and area of expertise.