• Joshua Kerber
    Hello Radon Colleagues.

I wanted to pass along some sad news about our friend, Susie Shimek. Please see an abbreviated message from Bill Long (USEPA) below. As more details are made available, we will pass them along.

===
    bndbz268x9giroql.jpg

Susie Shimek passed away Tuesday morning at 10:30am. Her son Jake, sister Linda, niece, and Tracy Enger from our office were with her at her bedside. Susie was peaceful.

The family is making plans for memorial services and celebrations of Susie’s life. I expect there will be more news to share soon about that.

I wanted to reach out to tell you so that you could pass along the news to those in the states and industry who knew and worked with Susie.

Bill Long

===

Susie's USEPA colleagues and friends are creating a memory book in her honor. If you wish to contribute any thoughts, notes or photos, please send them to Peggy Bagnoli (). Ms. Bagnoli wishes to have something finished by the end of August, so please get things to her soon. Please send this message to anybody who knew Susie that may have moved on to new careers or have retired. She had a very large network of friends and colleagues.

Rest peacefully, Susie, my friend and mentor.

Joshua Kerber
  • Shawn Price
    Back in the day when I was the shy, new kid in radon, Susie was already moving the Tennessee Radon Program forward. I met her at the 1992 Symposium in Minneapolis and some time later she joined EPA’s Radon Program and then became a family friend. I was always amazed by her tireless radon advocacy energy. Susie left us in a much better place than when she entered the fray, and I’m not sure what could be a better legacy. I will miss Susie’s smile and positive energy. I look forward to sharing stories and shedding a few tears in Bellevue.
  • Gloria Linnertz
    Susie will be missed by all. She was such a dynamic person. A true friend.
  • Chrystine Kelley
    Susie was such a wonderful mentor and friend. She will be missed greatly. Chrys
  • Kevin M Stewart
    Janice Nolen - 2020 -- Rose to prominence from her work with American Lung Association of Tennessee.
    Susie Shimek - 2022 -- Rose to prominence from her work with Tennessee Radon Program
    I like to suppose that now they are happily catching up and comparing notes.
    The Volunteer State has certainly been home to some great environmental health champions.
  • Larainne Koehler
    From Dave Rowson - Susie Shimek’s family has shared with us their plans for the time and location of her funeral service – see below.

Susie’s family has not completed an obituary yet, but that will likely be available very soon.

The Funeral Service is open for in-person attendance to all. It will also be available to view live-streamed (link is included below) for those who wish to participate, but are unable to attend in person.

Susie Shimek Funeral Service and Reception
    Saturday, August 27, 2022, 11:00 a.m. ET
    Grace Episcopal Church, 3601 Russell Rd, Alexandria, VA 22305
    Live-stream link to view: https://youtu.be/EreLZK3dJTw
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Radon ListServ!

Join Radon ListServ Categories that pique your interests and area of expertise.