• Admin
    I was just about to respond to the untrue assertion that CARST is a part of AARST, but Bill beat me to it. Thank you Bill for responding. Yes - CARST is an entirely independent association with its own Board of Directors and Executive Director.
  • Michelle Festa
    Bill, thank you for the correction that CARST is not a part of AARST. I got confused among all the AARST-related entities. But for a time at least, C-NRPP was run by AARST-NRPP:

From Fall 2012 AARST Radon Reporter:
    The National Radon Proficiency
    Program (NRPP) opened a Canadian
    version of the credentialing program
    (C-NRPP).

From the 2013 AARST Radon Reporter:
    October 1, 2012, the NRPP certification program became
    the AARST - National Radon Proficiency Program (NRPP)
    in the United States, and the Canadian National Radon
    Proficiency Program (C-NRPP) in Canada, both administrated
    by AARST in its Fletcher Offices in North Carolina.

It also lists Pam as C-NRPP coordinator and AARST staff; she coordinates the Canada radon symposium currently.
    C-NRPP Exam Coordinator
    Pam Warkentin

From the Winter 2014 AARST Radon Reporter
    Since 1986, AARST, the American Association of Radon Scientists
    and Technologists, Inc., has represented radon professionals,
    scientists and risk reduction advocates in the United States,
    Canada, and all around the world.

AARST and CARST had a close relationship in the past. I found this history of CARST, and I thought it was interesting so here it is from its website archive:

September 2008
    • Bob Wood and Pam Warkentin met with William Angell and the AARST board at the Las Vegas AARST conference regarding initiating a Canadian chapter of AARST.
    • AARST were very supportive and interested in helping us proceed.
    • We drew up a statement of intent at that time to start the process.
    • Within a year, other Canadian members of AARST were starting to gain interest in the idea.

2009 - 2010
    • We worked with the AARST chapter co-ordinator Nicole Chazaud and she provided us with support materials to initiate a chapter.
    • We also approached the Canadian Radiation Protection Association (CRPA) and began a discussion to work together with them. CRPA set up a working group and decided that they would like to have a relationship with us, but we would require our own organization.
    • We began discussions with a lawyer at the time and realized that in order to proceed as a Canadian non-profit corporation, we would need to start our own organization rather than be a chapter of AARST.

May 2011
    • CRPA hosted a conference in Ottawa in May 2011 and offered us space to host a meeting to initiate our organization.
    • We contacted all Canadian members of AARST to advise them of the meeting and 22 members met and became founding members of a new organization called: Canadian Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (CARST).
    • At that time we agreed on by-laws and set up a board of directors to proceed with incorporation.

April 2012 - The 1st Annual CARST Conference
    • 45 people attended the conference.
    • The agenda included presentations from individuals across the country on a variety of radon specific work.
    • Health Canada presented an update on their cross country survey.
    • NEHA-NRPP presented information on a new Canadian certification (C-NRPP) that they had just launched (April 1, 2012) to provide a Canadian version of the current American certification process.
    • We also hosted a transitional exam which provided 31 certified professionals an opportunity to "Canadianize" their certification.
  • Jeff Tikkanen
    A call to action: Over the course of this coming year, let us conduct a field study by allowing US radon contractors to install 150 or more residential radon systems that vent at ground level.

We (the radon contractors in the field) could initially use only the most conservative of clearance guidelines when choosing (signing up) these homes for the field study.

These homes could not be part of a real estate transaction, for the contractor will need to maintain contact with the homeowners for initial and follow-up testing.

As with the Pennsylvania Re-entrainment Study, the radon systems could be set up to allow for extending the vent pipe above the roof line at the end of a year if the home owners desire or the follow-up testing indicates that it should be done.

We would need to design a study agreement that would hold contractors harmless during and after the study that would be acceptable to our insurance companies. I bet that the Pennsylvania study would have a model.

We would have to seek permission from state radon programs that have licensure.

If I have to return to a home at the end of the study period to run pipe up the side of the house, I will take that cost on.

At the end of a year we would have a good would have a better sense of how well the system perform across the country.
  • Michelle Festa
    There are more deadlines for public review comments coming up, for mitigation standards-SF, LB, MF all together: MONDAY APRIL 18 snd APRIL 25. I know it seems pointless to submit comments, but there is a process to follow.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Radon ListServ!

Join Radon ListServ Categories that pique your interests and area of expertise.