• Randy Weestrand
    Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) proposed a rule requiring credentials to place or retrieve a radon test. They said that this was consistent with the current national standard. (MAH 2014 Protocols for Conducting Measurements of Radon and Radon Decay Products in Homes). I disagreed.

The original EPA protocol clearly allowed a credentialed person to train and supervise their staff. Was this also the intent of MAH 2014? To find the truth, I polled the leadership of the credentialing agencies and the individuals on the committee that wrote MAH 2014. I asked “Does MAH 2014 require a credentialed person on site when placing and retrieving a radon gas test?” A common response was “RDP tests require the credentialed person on site, radon gas tests do not.” Others said that both RDP and radon gas tests require a credentialed person on site.

The dispute may be over. The radon executive at MDH that I, and others, have sparred with over this question in Minnesota’s legislature, hearing rooms and court rooms is on the committee that wrote MAH Draft 10-2018- an update of MAH 2014. If approved, this will become the new law of the land.

Here is the proposed language for test placement and retrieval:

8.1 b) individuals who place, retrieve … radon measurement devices shall be qualified measurement professionals.

In other words, you must take the class, pass the test and get certified before you can place or retrieve a test.

NRPP certified inspectors tell me “If I can train my inspectors to assess a home’s structural, mechanical and electrical systems, I can train them to place and retrieve a test”. This practice, used by many of us for over 30 years, will end if the proposed language is adopted.

If this is the will of our industry, so be it- I’ll shut up and move on. But if it’s the government pushing its will on the industry- I’m troubled that it got this far.

This standard will be in the public comment period until December 17. I hope you follow the link below to print and read the proposed standard, and suggest revisions if you feel compelled to.

I was invited to serve on the above committee but declined for selfish reasons. I applaud the unselfish professionals who do volunteer to serve the radon industry and its clients.

Cut this link and past it in your address bar to view and comment on the proposed standard:

aarst-nrpp.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/MAH_2018_10_pubreview.pdf
  • John Reim
    Interesting take Randy. This is and has always been the standard in Illinois. Only licensed measurement technicians / professionals may place or retrieve test devices.
  • Gary Hodgden
    I seldom provide comments on the forum because I prefer to read and learn.
    Here, I wish to inform the community:

The content in ANSI/AARST standards are not controlled by any single interest group, government or private party. While there is desire to always have a wide spectrum of stakeholder viewpoints including several government folks representing their stakeholder vantage point, no interest group is allowed to represent more than 1/3rd of voting participants.

Overwhelming consensus for almost two decades by radon industry participants and others has supported needs for training where public demonstration of adequate training comes with passing certification exams and maintaining certification.

For the committee that approved this proposed update to MAH 2014 being referred to, folks that represent government interests are 4 out of 27 discussion participants and 3 out of 16 different voting stakeholder groups.

The consensus summary is not too hard to understand: The job of a testing professional entails far more than plugging in, unplugging and hitting print buttons on a test device.

Warmest regards to all,
    Gary Hodgden
    Secretariat for the ANSI/AARST Consortium on National Radon Standards
  • Bob Wood
    While I understand the employer not wanting his people certified as they may branch out on their own. May cost employer more etc. It is a two day course. I feel as an employer I want all my staff to be certified, including the office because it gives my staff the ability to create the knowledge base that allows them to create relationships with us being experts for our customers.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Radon ListServ!

Join Radon ListServ Categories that pique your interests and area of expertise.