• Bob Wood
    The ICRP has published it's long awaited new dose levels for radon. These new dose levels will in my opinion should lower the acceptable levels of radon in a workplace significantly.

I do not know what the USA uses as it's teranorm dose restrictions are, but the math to get from Bq/m3 to dose in mSv is one of two choices from table 12-7 or the method recommended in the annex A-8 and A-9 is:
    6.7 X 10⁻6 mSv per Bq h m⁻3 assuming an equilibrium factor, F, of 0.4. With an occupancy of 2000 h y⁻1 for a worker (ICRP, 1993, 2010)

i.e. 150 Bq/mᵌ X (6.7 X .000001 mSv per Bq h m⁻ᵌ) X 2000 hours = 2.1 mSv dose

In Canada our restrictions to NORM in a workplace safety is typically:
    below 1mSv dose, is OK.
    1 - 5 mSv dose, employer must begin a radiation safety plan designed to lower dose below 1mSv and track worker exposure (not dosimeter)
    5-20 mSv dose, employer must track worker exposure with licenced dosimeter, radiation safety plan to lower dose with a goal of below 1 mSv

Come to CARST in Ottawa April 22-24 to learn more about this exciting change in workplace safety from radon and what changes this might mean for residential levels in the near future!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Radon ListServ!

Join Radon ListServ Categories that pique your interests and area of expertise.

More Discussions